Friday, June 07, 2013

Swim Lessons

A much anxiety filled moment has arrived: swim lessons. Our history of swim lessons have been filled with much frustration and tears on behalf of myself, Lucas, and probably the swim teacher. Lucas has just had a deep fear of lessons- he is generally very sensitive to new things but he LOVES the pool and when your mommy was a competitive swimmer for 10 years, this is the one thing I needed to help him overcome. We have seriously tried 3 years in a row and all three years had a screaming/wailing Lucas the whole time or a Lucas that I literally could not force into the water. 

So here we are. 4 years old, with Miss Becca and our friends. Holding my breath. So far so good, they are all excited to see each other- Miss Addy was a few minutes late so they gave her a greeting when she arrived. So far so good. . . 


Would you look at this?! He did it! Not crying!
 Miss Becca is a hero in our house. She "gets" Lucas and knows how to love him, coach him, and encourage him in all the right ways. This had been a bit of a tough week for our household and I think God knew I needed one thing to go right- sigh of relief. 

Lucas and Addy getting ready to jump in. I just can't get over how big they are- and how adorable. 

Milly and Finny are waiting their turn, watching the siblings, not knowing exactly what we are about to throw them into.


Doing their swim class cheer for a great day. Mommies inside the clubhouse were cheering too. 

Finn did really good the first day. Note I said the first day;) Look at mister Finn over there raising his hand, he wanted a turn!



Floating and kicking with Miss Becca.


After a successful day, Lucas got to spend the day with Miss Dele- a treasured running summer date they have each week. I enjoyed having a day with Finn, I know my days alone with him are numbered. 

Swim class, day 2: check out Michael Phelps in the water!

Lucas has been doing so good, on the last day, show off day, he swam across the entire pool! Watching his face when he realized what he did was just priceless. The reward for the end of lessons was going on the big water slide. That slide is a pretty big one, nice and steep and had a way of slinging and throwing those little skinnies off but they had fun.

And this photo cracks me up. I mean, what are they doing? They are all looking and posing totally different while the assistant teacher was trying to talk to them. Hilarious.
 One proud swimming boy! He told me he won't ever use his floaties again. 

 And Finn's last day. This is how he was the rest of the week. Absolutely sobbing. So much that his chest was sucking in pretty deep like it does when he has his breathing issues. Poor buddy. But as he learned, I have already been through this with big brother, doesn't phase me. ;)

Our hero Miss Becca. We might just put this photo on our mantle. Miss Becca is moving to Florida soon and that makes us so sad but she is already planning on coming back next summer to teach our babies again and since she lives on the beach in Florida I am thinking a trip will be needed. . . .

No comments: