Monday, June 09, 2008

The Storm

I am sure all of you were caught off-guard by the storm yesterday. Josh and I had no idea! All the weather said was a T-storm watch...not even a warning! So, here is our story that I am writing to you from Josh's office because we don't have power!

We were driving home from Hall Rd. in Utica, there were clouds but not dark at all. We get off of the Rochester Rd. exit and we see the front line, again, a strong line, but not dark. We are at the light of Rochester and Auburn and all of a sudden Josh said "Kara, look behind us" There was an absolute wall of dark water speeding towards us. The lights went out and the traffic signals about flipped over it was so windy....and then, a nice, big, red barrel came flying out of a gas station and hit my car. 

We turn onto Auburn, and in the 60 seconds it takes to get to Livernois....the temperature dropped 12 degrees. We were going to pick up Josh's car, but then decided we needed to get home fast. We turn on Livernois...there is a 40 ft. tree on the road, so we turn around and eventually get to our road and there are two humongous trees on our road. We had to find a different way to get to our house...meanwhile, the sirens start blaring. We get to our house, the power is out and our front door lock is jammed somehow so we are stuck outside. This is when I started to cry! (For a brief moment and then I collected myself!)I was preparing myself to see a tree on my house but thank goodness we were spared. A neighbor let me stay in their home until it stopped raining. Josh and the other guys on our street went right away with axes and chainsaws to start cutting down the fallen trees that are EVERYWHERE in our neighborhood. 

We won't get power back today they say, so that is my update for now! I am so glad we installed a back-up sump pump that doesn't need electricity or we would be in trouble!

This is a spot in my front yard where lightning struck! 

I am just thrilled to see which electronics and appliances are fried because of this.....


2 comments:

Burcham Family said...

That was a crazy storm wasn't it? Glad you all are doing ok. I hope your car wasn't damaged?!?

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find your comment button. Perhaps its power is still out!

Glad your power is back on, Princess.