Friday, June 06, 2008

Quit Complaining!

Our small group has been going through spiritual disciplines each week, each week there are specific activities within the chosen discipline of the week to practice. Last week, a lot of us chose the activity "Taming the tongue". The challenge was to go one whole day without saying anything negative.
I specifically chose a day where I had a long day at work, on a payday. I was dreading it, but it wasn't as hard for me to do as I thought, I try to be positive most days, but what I noticed is that our society thrives on being negative. Negativity starts every conversation, if you say something positive, people just agree with you, if you say something negative, people start talking! This was really frustrating once I started noticing the trend. 
So it is a couple weeks later and today I just have to complain about some complaining. When you are a bank teller, you have about a hundred miniature conversations every day. All winter long up until today I hear "it is so cold outside", "when will winter ever end", "I haven't seen the sun in ___ days", "It is memorial day and too cold to go swimming", "I hate snow"...etc. 
Today. The first day it actually felt like summer. High about 90, kinda muggy, blue sky, sunshine. Every single customer on my busy friday felt the need to complain. "it is so hot out there", "don't stay out there long, it is terrible", "the humidity is dreadful", "man, you should be glad you work inside and don't have to be out there." 
I mean seriously! Come on people! You have just spent an entire season complaining and you finally get what you want and what do you do? You complain! 
Being surrounded by negativity is draining...How about we try to be grateful, enjoy life and the weather, be positive! 

1 comment:

Angel said...

Not to complain or anything, but it is HOT here. I think 101 degrees and extremely humid is allowed a little complaining. Enjoy your 90 degree weather.