The third Sunday of every month is my favorite day of the month, that is when we drive down to Cass Park in Detroit and spend time with our homeless and poor friends and do what we can to make them feel like real people for a day. Josh and I are occasionally asked if we think we are making a difference, I think a huge difference is made everytime one more person receives a hot meal, sits down and has a conversation, receives a warm hug and smiles.
So far, since we have ramped up this monthly mission, two men are now off the streets, one man is now in SOS, while Francis has made us all proud! Francis is our friend that I introduced to many of you around Christmas time when he came to stay with us for a bit. After going through the program at SOS, Francis now has a job working in the mortgage buisiness and is now in an apartment! I am so proud of him and excited to see what happens next!
So for this month, Amy, Danny and I made about 250 scarves, we had a lot of fun putting what we made around our friends necks.
We also asked for the church and all the Bible classes to collect toothpaste and toothbrushes for us to hand out (we always try to do one clothing item and one toiletry item each month). Well, I was astounded by how much we recieved! We did have a lower than normal crowd at the park, but even so, I have so much leftover!
So, my evening is filled with making toiletry bags! We are asking the church to collect deoderant and socks, so in each bag that everyone will get there will be a toothbrush, toothbrush cover, toothpaste, deoderant and a pair of socks! Here is a picture of my living room floor at the moment:
5 comments:
That's a lot of dental products KG. Thanks for making the scarves, they were a hit.
So that's where my friend Amy Lewis has disappeared to! She's a great friend. Thanks for all of the hard work you and the whole gang do.
I am so proud of you -- and Josh -- that my swelling heart could pop. God gave us all a wonderful gift when He gave us you, Princess.
There is no question that this ministry has loooonnngggg lasting, positive effects.
Praise God for the loving ministry you are doing! They are real people...real children of God.
I'm glad you got to go once again to Cass Park...can't wait to join you now that Watershed is slowing down a bit. (Just caught up on the rest of your blog as well... good thing you have this going for you because otherwise you would definately have no life! ;) haha well, except for grey's anatomy of course - next blog up? softball anyone?)
Post a Comment