Thursday, September 08, 2011

My Big Boy

Introducing: Lucas' big boy train room! We still have some walls to decorate, but that will come later. I love how it turned out, but most of all, Lucas loves to spend time in his room.

 Lucas' reading corner with his new reading chair. I think it is funny that ever since I started calling it his reading chair, he can't sit in it until he has a book to read.




 Only because my mother is an interior designer and I am sure this photo will make her gasp---I know the pictures are "flying" on the wall, but since we still need a changing table space, my son is also part spider monkey and that means if things are too low on the wall--they will be messed with.
 Here comes the part that made my heart hurt: Lucas last night in his crib. We talked and talked about it and he would say that he was going to sleep in his train room and Finn would be sleeping in the crib, but it was hard to put him in at night knowing it was the last time. 
 My name wouldn't be Kara Graves if I didn't sneak back in and take a photo of him sleeping! Look how big he is in that little bed!
 The first night in the big bed. I was so nervous. We read some stories and prayed together as a family before tucking him. About 2 minutes later, he came running out into the family room to see us. In the span of the next 10 minutes, he asked for: milk, water, trains, cars, and a book. After 30 minutes, he was asleep and only woke up one time that night! I was so proud of him and he was so proud of himself (the most important part!)

After the first time of talking about it, he has understood that he has to stay in his bed so he waits till we come in the morning and then he jumps out by himself! Pretty good seeing that I would think that big train table sitting beside him would be rather tempting. . .

He now runs to his bed each night and usually "needs" a few things but will then fall asleep shortly after all his things are with him. He has been waking up about one time a night when he can't find a paci or his lovey, but I think that is great progress for a move this big.
 One boy transitioned to his room just means one more thing--we need another little boy to come take up residence in the nursery!

3 comments:

jennybortell@blogspot.com said...

One of our funniest memories of London being this age was right after he started sleeping in his big boy bed. He would come out a ton, wanting a drink, another song, another story. We were walking him back to his bed and he latched on to the railing for dear life and yelled, "I HAVE CHOICE!!" LOL! Sorry, little man, but no ya don't. :-)

Donna said...

It's the little things that become big when you are paying attention, isn't it, Kara? Celebrations every day!

Lindsay Norsworthy said...

Love his room!!!