Sunday, February 20, 2011

Otter Creek Baby Dedication Celebration

Baby Dedication at Otter Creek is a special event. Parents are involved in special classed together leading up to the Sunday when their child is dedicated and prayed over in front of our church family.

After services, there is a lunch in the gym where each family can invite guests to sit with them, eat, and celebrate their precious child. We loved being a part of this event last year, and as tradition goes, all the families who were blessed one year, put together the event for the families the next year!
I, along with Emily Little became Team Decoration. This was a BIG task! We dedicated 31 children this year which meant we were in charge of setting the gym up, decorating each table along with food and cake tables, and purchasing gifts for each child. There was no better partner in fun to have than Emily, she is such a fun girl!
Each baby's table had a stack of tiered boxes (yes, we wrapped over 90 of those boxes and they were stored in my house for awhile!), balloons, a painted initial, and a bag of gifts along with adorable polka dotted confetti.



Here is Team Decoration. We had so much fun, but I have a feeling we will both sleep hard tonight!


Tell me these polka dots don't make you happy?

This is my college roommate Elizabeth and her great husband James and son Andrew. I just love her so much and was so excited to celebrate Andrew with her today.
The event was a success!
I will leave you with this. One of the graduating seniors last year wrote this piece for a school project and it is just beautiful, a legacy that I am so proud Lucas will be a part of:

I am from Otter Creek

I am from Otter Creek. From Granny White Pike and Franklin Road. From baby dedications, baby showers, and baby blessings.

I am from cradle roll class. From bucket seats and bubble machines, from cheerios, and "pat the Bible". From loving arms and smiling faces, welcoming me to this family.

I am from Bible class. From my "First Look" into the true word of God, creatively spoken to me each week with love. From memory verses, hidden in my heart as some of my first spoken words. From virtues and "God-time" cards.

I am from Preschool Praise and Kids' Worship. I am from "Jump Into the Light" and "Fight this Fight". From rising up for joyful singing. And from falling face down for prayer.

I am from Team KID, from Bible Max, and from Club 56. I am from Birthday Sunday, blessed with good health, long life, peace and joy in God's service. I am from the Christmas Breakfast, and the Back to School Blessing. I am from the playground and the pavilion, from "The Cove" and "The Refuge", from the sanctuary and the Prayer Room.

I am from a cloud of witnesses, a family big enough to reach beyond just the walls of my home.

From gentle caregivers. From loving teachers and energetic worship leaders. I am from dedicated small group leaders. I am from numerous extra parents and grandparents, helping my parents raise me.

I am loved, nurtured, taught, and trained. I am watched over and prayed over. I am from joy and sorrow, praise, and pain. I am part of a family, a body, a community of believers, a church. I am part of God's story. I am from Otter Creek.

Have a Blessed Week!

1 comment:

Donna said...

What an amazing legacy the senior realized and shared so eloquently.