Sunday, May 09, 2010

ONE

Good Morning everyone, do I look older?
Josh was in California teaching at the Pepperdine Lectureships all week and he took the red eye flight back home. He pulled in the garage right as Lucas was waking up, so we walked in singing, "Happy Birthday" to him. He knew something was up!

The night before, I had decorated his door with all the cards he had and put streamers up, he LOVES them! He will giggle every time we walk into his room.
We had special presents to Lucas from us, a singing card, a lawn mower, and a puzzle!
We started a new tradition for birthdays, we went to Pancake Pantry for some yummy pancakes to start our day off right! Lucas loved the sweet potato pancakes, just like his mommy :)

Next stop: the zoo! I had been wanting to get a year pass so we could go anytime (the zoo is about 15 minutes from our house), so we used his birthday money to finally get one! We had fun showing dad around to all our favorite things, some exhibits were gone temporarily because of the flood, but we still had fun!
Hanging out with the meerkats!
Lucas LOVED LOVED LOVED the aquarium. It was right on his level so he could look in and see all the fish, he would point and laugh and stare for the whole day if we had let him!
Learning to be "gentle" at the petting zoo. Those poor goats have so much patience.
It was a hot day and the zoo wore us out. Next on the list: nap time!
Am I a cute one year old or what? Mom made the crucial 1st kid mistake in that I left his clothes on for cake time. Lesson learned. Kid #2 won't be wearing clothes for this event.
See what I mean? Good thing the tray was dishwasher safe, I was wishing the child and the wood floor were too. I am not sure what the point of the bib was. . .
Next birthday event: bath!!
After his bath, we met up with our neighbors at a new frozen yogurt store down the street called Menchies. It was yummy!
On Saturday, Lucas learned that all fun must come to an end. We are not a baby anymore and that means chores on Saturday. Since he got a lawn mower, that was his job of the day. You can see however in the picture below that he is embracing the southern culture and waving to a passerby.
Dad did my hair.
Otter Creek has a great tradition every year where the first Sunday of the month, all the children who have birthdays come on stage to be recognized and sung to. In the beginning they make a special announcement of those turning 1. This was Lucas' first birthday Sunday and I was definitely "that mom" who was on the front row with a camera! Videos of the morning are at the end of this blog. It is such a sweet tradition!
Lucas and I out for Mother's Day lunch at the Richland Country Club. He behaved so well (it helped that we were with a special family that loves him and he loves their boys) and Lucas even cuddled with me at the end of lunch and fell asleep! Best. Gift. Ever.



Birthday Sunday Part 1 from Kara Graves on Vimeo.



Birthday Sunday Part 2 from Kara Graves on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Vee said...

Can't believe Lucas is 1 already! He has grown into such a handsome little guy - he is one lucky little dude. =]

Lindsay Norsworthy said...

Happy First Birthday Lucas!! What a special day it sounds like you had with him. :)

Josh Graves said...

I love how you use pic's to tell stories. Love it.

Love you.

JG