The following was what Josh wrote for his blog earlier today, I am using his words only because with all the emotions the past few weeks and getting through today, my words don't come together very well. This has been the hardest decision we have made as a couple, and although the thought of leaving the deepest friendships I have ever experienced is gut-wrenching, I truly believe God is up to something great.
Today, Kara and I made public our new adventure (not to be confused with the Lucas Adventure). Beginning late summer, Kara and I will join the mission of the Otter Creek Church in Nashville, TN. This was a very difficult decision. We prayed. Cried. Discussed. Listened. Sought wisdom from mentors. Prayed some more. We feel God has called us to this new leadership role.
Leaving Rochester Church and Rochester College will not be easy. This has been a formative church. I was baptized in this church. I was married, to Kara, in this church family. Kara feels at home here; she has tremendous relationships. Both of our families live here. Yet, we believe God is working in all of this.
I will serve in the role as preaching and teaching minister. I will be the point/lead for the preaching and teaching that takes place at OC. In addition, I will be working alongside David Rubio, well-known OC youth minister, who will be transitioning to a new role. David and I will form the Otter Creek preaching/teaching team. David will also work in adult ministry. The team approach has worked well in the other churches I've been closely connected to (me and Patrick at Rochester; Rubel Shelly and John York at Woodmont Hills). I look forward to working with the OC shepherds as well as David, Janet, Melanie, TJ, Doug, Phil, Murray, Steve, Vicki, Donna, Emma, and Becca.
The Otter Creek elders have a vision I'm excited about joining. I will write more about this in the coming months. They want to continue to be Christ' church in the community, taking risks to see more people come to see the Jesus Story as The Story.
The Rochester Church leadership team (elders and ministers) has been a rewarding team to work with. We've taken a lot of risks, doing things that most churches (in our denomination) are not willing to do for the sake of the kingdom. It's been a great joy to work alongside the elders along with Patrick, Jason, John, Chris, Dana, Karen, Sara, Kelly, Trudy, and Beth. Very few people get to wake up every day loving their vocation.
The immediate real adventure, becoming parents, should happen any day now. Just as we get the hang of that, we'll begin the journey to join the Otter Creek family for this new chapter.
The affirmation and encouragement we received this morning was refreshing and gave so much peace to us. I do have to share one sweet story with you: Matthew Steckel, our youth ministers son, ran up to me and gave me a big hug after the letter was read this morning. If you don't know Matthew, he loves maps and is a genius at once being in a place can tell you the exact address and directions to it for the rest of his life! He loves to find out where people live so he can add it to his map collection.
Matthew told me, "Aunt Kara, as soon as you find your new house you need to tell me so I can make a map for you, and then I will make a map for you to be able to find your way back home and visit us." Now, it doesn't take too much, but that definitely got the tears going. Thank you Matthew.
Keep praying for us, and promise to come visit us :)
9 comments:
So glad to hear that you will be joining Otter Creek. I have special interest there in that two of my children and their families worship there. In fact, my son-in-law, Mark Meador, has been on the preacher search committee --- but he has kept everything confidential, so I had no idea that you were the one selected. Best Wishes to the both of you as you become parents and as you step into the Otter Creek role. We will look forward to hearing you when we visit Otter Creek. Ed and Judy Miller
Congrats on the new job! I know you must be excited about being at Otter Creek. What a great place to raise your little guy. :) God is good!!
Congratulations! I'm sure God will do great things through you two.
We are looking forward to having you at OC with us. We'll be praying for you as we know from recent experience the bittersweet moments that lie ahead as you prepare for and make your transition to a new town/church away from immediate family. Please let us know if you need ANYTHING!
I missed the announcement at church, but heard the news....So sad to not have the time to get to know you better, but so happy for you and your family for this amazing opportunity to expand God's kingdom! God has big plans for you and Josh, enjoy the ride! Lots of love and prayers. XOXO
Hi Kara! We are members at OC and are in a Life Group with Jaime and Murray Sanderson. Just wanted to let you know we prayed for you guys last night. We prayed for the upcoming delivery of baby Lucas and for a smooth transition to Nashville. We are so excited that you guys are coming to OC, but we know it will be hard to leave family and friends. Please know you will have a new "family" at OC that is anxiously awaiting your arrival. We look forward to getting to know you guys very soon.
Kara and Josh,
As the wife of a former youth minister, I wish you well in your transition. I'm so thankful that this is by your choice, and that you are making this transition with the blessings of both Rochester and Otter Creek. Moves like this bring both joy and sadness, my prayer for you is that you will cherish the family at Rochester as you bond with a new family at Otter Creek. May God richly bless you as you take on a new ministry!
Kara!I had no idea, but believe that God is going to use you and Josh and baby Lucas to do great things here in Nashville! Good luck with your move and both of your new adventures. I'm excited to have you in Nashville! We'll have to have a playdate for Grayden and Lucas!
Welcome back to Nashville! When are you coming? Some of mine and Michael's best friends attend Otter Creek. They also have a newborn. Michael and I attend just around the corner at Harpeth Hills. The team ministry idea is very neat - I loved it with John and Rubel when I attended Woodmont Hills. I'm sure your schedule is going to be crazy busy for awhile, but I've love to get together and catch up at some point!
Post a Comment