Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Baby Story: Lucas Joshua Graves

I have finally sat down to write out the story of Lucas' birth-day, throughout the story you will see beautiful pictures that Tessa Stockman took for us. It was so special to have her there to share in that exciting moment and the memories she captured for us will forever be so important to us. 

Thursday morning at 6:30, our alarms went off, signaling to us that today would be a day that would change our lives forever! We got ready, packed the car, and drove to Troy Beaumont. What a surreal 10 minute drive that was! You think "do all these people who are just out driving to work, or running to Starbucks, or going to the gym know that it might just be a normal day for them, but we are going to have a baby?!"

We get all registered, they do one last ultrasound to make sure he is in the right position and then they set me up in a labor and delivery room. We had the best nurse...Jessica, she was present the whole day and such an encouragement!

Jessica got my IVs started, and turned on the pitocin around 9:30. At 9:50 they had to turn the pitocin way down because Lucas' heart rate was falling. His heart rate came back strong once the pitocin was turned down. After a while, they turned the pitocin back on. Once again, his heart rate dropped. They gave me oxygen which helped him a little, but they weren't comfortable so they stopped the pitocin all together.

I was nervous at this point, not knowing why his heart rate was acting like it was, but also knowing that if they stopped the pitocin, that meant that the induction had stopped. I didn't want to be sent home! It ended up being one of their busiest baby days...17 were born along with Lucas on Thursday!

An hour later, Lucas' heart rate was stable although they still had me on oxygen, and I started labor on my own! 

My doctor had come in a few times to monitor me, and I greeted her with a smile each time which she thought "oh, you don't look that uncomfortable it will be awhile". I asked her to check me anyway, and she said "oh my goodness, you are a deceiver, you are at a 6!" I knew I was having some pain, but I was shocked...and excited!

A few minutes later, my other doctor came in to break my water and that is when the fun began. (being a bit sarcastic there). It really hurt. really. I asked for an epidural and they were trying to get to me as soon as possible, but there were two emergency c-sections going on so I was waiting. About an hour later I finally got the epidural....and wow, epidurals are from Jesus! It was wonderful.
I think it was around 4:15 that Josh called Tessa to give her an update, it went something like "yea, she was at a 6, she got an epidural and feels much better, but you probably don't need to get here until after dinner, maybe 6 or 7." 5 Minutes later, they check me and I am at a 9. Oops....call Tessa back! 

At 5 I started pushing, with the epidural it wasn't too bad, and honestly it was easier than the contractions. A majority of that was because I had a room full of such encouragement and we were having a lot of fun. I was laughing a lot, my doctor had thrown her back out so she was rocking in a chair and laughing with us while my nurse, Josh, and a medical student helped me. 

With each push I heard cheering and encouragement from everyone so it made me feel like I could do it! At 6:12 P.M. Lucas was put on me, and it was such a great moment! I remember the nurse telling me to talk to him, but I didn't know what to say! I was in such awe that this baby was mine and here, and he was inside me! 


Sweet Josh struggled with where he should be, he kept running back in forth between me and Lucas, not knowing how to figure out who needed him the most. I told him to stay with Lucas since I couldn't be there. It was so fun to watch them weigh him, take his footprints, and give him a bath. 
I love this picture here that Tessa took, this is when Josh brought Lucas over for me to hold after they were done taking care of me and him. It was such a surreal and heavenly moment. I was in love!







7 comments:

Vee said...

What a sweet story! I've been virtually following you every step of the way, and it's been such a joy to read about...I am remembering through your story the excitement of having your first child, how your whole world flips upside down for the sweetest face you've ever seen. Lucas is a very lucky little man!! =]

Patrick Mead said...

What a wonderful day... and only one week ago. Wow. I love you, Princess, and I love Lucas, too. Oh, and Josh. Him, too.

The Cooper Family said...

that was beautiful! I am in tears. I am so happy for you. Children are amazing!

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

Congratulations, Kara & Josh! We look forward to meeting your family at OC soon.

-Carrie & Lance Brock
lifewiththebrocks.blogspot.com

jaime s said...

What a precious story. I LOVE reading birth stories! So happy he's yours and all went well.

Lenny said...

Thank you for sharing your experience! I feel like I'm cramming for an exam! :)

Kara Miller said...

Awe, so great! I too love to hear birth stories...and it's cool to hear versions from the dad too and what the experience was through his eyes. Soak up every precious moment.