Friday, August 22, 2008

Elie Wiesel


Last night I was able to sit at the feet of an amazing man: Elie Wiesel. I am still awestruck at the experience and don't have the words to describe it. I have read his books Night, Dawn, and Day many times since junior high. The holocaust has always been such an intriguing topic to me, growing up that was the only part of history that I wanted to read more and more about.  This week I will be reading those books again. 

To see this man walk into a room and speak with such love and wisdom is something I will never forget. After reading his words and learning about his experiences for so many years in my life, to stand and applaud has Elie walked into the room was such a powerful moment. Seeing other holocaust survivors in attendance moved me to tears. I couldn't help but wish that all of my English and History teachers could have been there for that moment. 

My dad has a great story about last night on his blog, if you have time, make sure to read it!

www.patrickmead.net

No comments: