Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Today is a great day!



Today was a great day for this southern girl. Today, a Walmart Supercenter opened up by my house! Hooray! I woke up today like it was Christmas morning and I was about to be amazed.

I was amazed. It was beautiful. I felt very much at home. For those of you up here that aren't sure what Super Walmart is, or think that this new one will be just like the one in Pontiac.....you have a lot to learn! In TN, Walmart was the only place I shopped for the cheapest...and good groceries, produce, books, cds, random decor pieces, and my weekly edition of Country Weekly. 

Ever since I moved up north, I have felt a deep sense of void that was reinforced everytime I went to Kroger or battled the chaotic Meijer.

When Josh and I arrived in MI to our apartment around 8PM, we realized that we needed a shower curtain liner (our last apartment had a shower door!). No problem, I thought, I will just run to WalMart, they have everything! When I walked inside after being shocked at how small and old this place looked, a man yelled at me "we close in 15 minutes so you better find what you want and check out." I started crying. My Walmarts were always open 24 hours with kind workers who were helpful and always willing to strike up a conversation.

Everyone told me that Meijer would be my substitute, but that never came to be. Too crowded, slow cashiers, overpriced, and I always leave in a bad mood.

Today was my day. My brother met up with me and we walked through each aisle admiring all the products I bought weekly in the South and that I would once be buying again, each aisle had WalMart representatives there to greet you and make you feel welcomed. Some aisle offered cookies, some ice cream, one aisle we got some tasty Kielbasa, and I got a dough boy keychain!

The best part was, there was a live musician playing great songs like "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Country Roads", if I ignored the fact that it was snowing and 10 degrees outside, I could dream that I was in a nice and warm southern state!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... sweet home!

Sean Stockman said...

I have never lived anywhere but the north...so I am new to the "Super Walmart" Tess had told me that it was going in (she is from the south as well). We might just have to get a babysitter for the kids and go have a date night at "walmart" haha

Burcham Family said...

That is hilarious! Jason was just there last night enjoying the new, NICE Walmart :)

Anonymous said...

Ok,

I need to go, but I feel like you need to be with me when I do!! :o)

Ash, Kel n Ella said...

You are too funny! Although, I'm glad you posted so now I know about this new, wonderful Walmart that I now need to check out:)

Here's to a nice day this summer shopping at Wallmart!!

-Kelly

Anonymous said...

I'm headed there today. Pray for me.

Ash, Kel n Ella said...

I believe there is a "You might be a Redneck" joke somewhere in the post!
Ash