Duncan and I are 6 years apart, which most people think that since we weren't close in age, we probably didn't hang out much, quite the opposite. We of course had our "sibling times" but overall have been best buddies are whole lives. When you move around a lot, it is nice to have your best friend right in the same town with you no matter where you move!
I have known for a while that today was coming, but I don't think you can ever be really ready for it, and I am still having a hard time grasping the reality. Last night Duncan came to watch Megan (his girlfriend), and I play softball and then we all stayed the night at my parents house, had breakfast this morning and then went to third service. I had a really hard time focusing on anything but all his friends coming to say goodbye and getting pictures with him before he left.
We left pretty quickly after church, it was hard to hold what we had left together much longer. Gus O'Conners has been a family favorite for a little while so we went there for brunch and played in the chocolate fountain they had. I knew we were saying goodbye after lunch, but it came so quickly. Duncan looked at his cell phone and said that we needed to get ready to go in order for him to make it to his recruits in time. The plan was for Duncan to say goodbye to Josh and I, go home and change and say goodbye to my parents, and then take his girlfriend to her home and say goodbye to her there, after that he drove and met up with his recruits at 5PM.
I totally lost it when my brother took my hand and walked out of the restaurant with me to where we were parked. After we said our goodbyes and he shut my door I just sobbed. I know he is going to be ok, it will be hard work, and he will get yelled at all day everyday but he will make the greatest friends, and learn so much about himself and at the end he will be even more strong and wise. I am just sick missing him so much already.

He is in a hotel in Troy somewhere, we don't know where. Tomorrow they will leave for Parris, Island, SC. We don't know which airport they are leaving from or which airport they land in. Sometime early Tuesday morning they will arrive on base and the yelling and training begins. He will be able to give my parents a 1 minute, scripted phone call and that will be the last that we hear his voice until he graduates on July 27th. There is a website where we can see what they are doing everyday which is nice.
I will just get letters, and he promised to write me a bunch. The day before graduation, they have Family Day on base and while they are running a victory lap by all the places they had challenges, the families will be lining the streets cheering for them and trying to pick out the person they love. The Marines will then show us around and let us see the places they have been for the past 13 weeks. After graduation the next day we can all come home. The last thing Duncan said to me was "I love you so much sissy, and I can't wait to see you in the stands." You better believe I will be there!
When thinking about what I wanted to write about my brother, there is just so much, but I am crying too hard to think of the perfect way to say anything! My bubby is just the best brother I could ever have, and I can't wait for him to come back home so we can hang out again! (And he will be in the young adult group after this which is really cool! )
Until then, I will just keep busy so I don't overthink all this. I have a countdown at home and a graduation from high school/boot camp party to plan!
Thank you all for the prayers and support, it means a lot!
11 comments:
I would hate to let my brother go. I'll be praying.
hi kara, i know we don't know each other that well. but, i do read your blog from time to time. that could be really creepy, i don't know, haha!
this post in particular brought heaps of tears to my eyes because last september i had to make this same goodbye to my younger brother. what a difficult time. there is a lot that i could say right now but, what i should say is that i pray that God gives you and your family, especially Duncan, strength during this time. my advice, keep praying and keep writing him even though he won't receive your letters for a while. i have pictures on my facebook that depict everything you described about family day and graduation. feel free to check them out if you haven't already.
anyway, God bless you, josh and your family.
What a hard thing to do to say goodbye and not be able to talk for 3 months. I'll be praying for you and Duncan while he is gone - it's always the people who are left behind that have the hardest time. He'll do great!
Kara, you have been on my mind and in my prayers! What a tough day. I'm here if you need some company! I'm sure a little Cheeseburgers in Paradise may help you feel better :) Your brother is a strong, Godly man and will do well. Before you know it you will be heading to Paris Island for his graduation!
Love,
Kelly
Princess, your momma and I are never far from tears...and you just pushed me over the edge again! It was such a hard, hard day, wasn't it? And the thing is -- today isn't much easier. I pray that he will succeed. He was asked by his friends, "What is your backup plan?" He replied, "There is no backup plan."
I thank God for the gift of you, Kara, and your brother, my hero, Duncan.
What a beautiful tribute. I hope that someday my children will feel the same way about each other (it's hard to imagine these days... they spend so much time looking for ways to annoy each other!).
Josh is lucky to have you.
Hi Kara... my son is also a Marine and went thru Parris Island for training. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor ceremony was more moving for me than the graduation. My son made it thru bootcamp no problems.. all except the sand fleas of course! Here is a link to a web site that I checked out frequently while he was there. I hope it will help you and your family.
http://p088.ezboard.com/Parris-Island/bparrisisland
Duncan will be fine. Those 13 weeks will fly by! Just a little FYI... depending on his DI, he may get to make a phone call home later on during boot camp. My son called a couple of times. He called after his qualification with the rifle and then again during team week. I'll be praying for him and your family. God bless!
Kara -
I read your dad's blogs (and novels!) all the time and have read your blog before, but it's been a while. I came over today at your dad's suggestion to read what you had to say about Duncan. My son was a Marine Corps officer, but went through the U. S. Naval Academy and then Quantico, Virginia, so didn't go through Parris Island, but I understand very well the feelings you have from when my son left home at 17.
For him, Plebe summer was only about 2 months and we got to go up to Annapolis when it was over and it was wonderful! You will be so proud of him, I know.
Hang in there. Stay busy and focus on other things that you can do something about, okay, until you can see Duncan again. He'll be just fine!
Cheers & Blessings to you today! Dee Andrews
Sorry for the above deletion. I had more to say.
I dropped by from your father's blog. What a beautiful tribute to your love for Duncan and his for you! God's blessings and peace on your family from a guy in California who thinks your dad is one of the greatest!
My brother was a life long soldier. He served two tours of duty in Viet Nam as an army ranger. He said he volunteered for the second tour because at that time if a person was serving in the war theatre, any sibling of that person would not be required to come to that theatre. I didn't know until many years later he signed up for a second tour so I would never have to see what he was seeing.
This world is blessed by people such as your brother. And mine!
Kara, Sweetie I couldn't visit your blog for several days seeing how moved your Dad was by your writing. Now I have a puddle of tears all over again! Some of those are from missing Duncan but some from the joy of being blessed by two wonderful children! You're both now adults and I couldn't be prouder. Thank you for the blessing!
Post a Comment