I had my first substitute teaching assignment yesterday and it looked like the best situation to have my first experience. It was at a school I had been to before, the class I was in would be next door to a good friend of mine, and it was kindergarten.
Now, I am not stupid. I prepared myself for chaos, this is the first full week of school and I know that those kids wouldn't be in a pattern of schedule and rules yet. I was not prepared enough.
Let's just say, I started the day with 21 kids and ended the day with only 17. One left puking at lunch. One thought chasing two girls with scissors to cut their hair would be fun. One was hit in the arm with a pencil from a neighboring "friend" and the lead was in her arm...causing her to hyperventilate and then go home, the last one decided to throw something at another studend and when I told them to put the object down, they decided to throw it again. I asked her to come sit next to me for a time out and she then yelled at me, "no! you go sit down." yea.....my friend next door saw it all happened and took care of that trip to the principal's office for me.
I had chocolate milk spilled on me in the first 5 minutes, and while I was cleaning that up, I had a cup of apple juice fall on me. The kids never had a period without me.......I mean, don't we do art or music or nap time anymore? It was the most chaotic day, being quiet and sitting in your chair is not a concept these kids were aware of.
I came home last night with my throat hurting from constantly talking all day long and sat....stunned on my couch.
I really hope it only goes up from here. I know kids act up with substitutes anyway, but hopefully i will have some better experiences.
Pray for me.
7 comments:
Sorry your first day was a tough one. I guess it helps to know how bad it can get, right? Just think, one day you'll have your own class from day one and you can train them to be a lot nicer.
Kara,
I have been reading your blog for a long time but this one calls to me for a response.
As a kindergarten teacher who is just finishing the
2nd full week of school I have to assure you that it gets better. I only had one cry today when he didn't get his way! I have one who is a foster child and only comes to me for reading class and is well behaved for me. Yesterday when we were writing he told me about his dog that died...well, he didn't die, we took him to the pound...and then with those "eyes" he said..."Do you think someone else came to take him home?" I told him I thought they did if he was cute and he assured me that Brutus was very cute. And then there was bus duty where I had to chat with a 5th grader (who I know was severely abused as a small child and has since been adopted by a wonderful family) who was being teased. When I got him seperated from the others he said all they were saying is true...I am a weakling. I told him that he was stronger in his heart than any of them would ever need to be.
It is a job that will cause you to laugh and cry more than most.
I am quite sure that you are a natural...you have a big heart and a gentle spirit.
Donna Lohr (from WV)
My mother just retired as an elementary principal with 30 years of teaching and principalship under her belt. She decided it would be good to be busy several days a week, and decided to sub. A day and a half into it, she quit. In fact she planned on talking to some Board members who need to know what is going on! You can hang with the best of them!
Just think how tough you're going to be by the end of the year!! It'll give you meaning for all those papers and projects you'll be doing in Grad School too. You're wonderful!!! Keep up the hard work. It'll grow you...
That sounds like it was awfully exciting!! Awww...I hope your next experience goes better! Hang in there - I can only imagine that you will make a great teacher! :) Mandy
I loved this post! Kids are such characters and wild, crazy and chaotic beings! No wonder why Jesus loved them so much, you just NEVER know what to expect!! I'm sure you did just fine, and it'll get easier as you go. Don't be discouraged! You're going to be great!
I did a little subbing too. Never fun. Charity is a teacher too, but these days she is staying home with the kids.
Post a Comment