Friday, July 25, 2008

Reflections


I apologize for not having written an Africa-reflection sooner. To be honest, I am still learning from our trip and understanding life in a new perspective with each day. I am so thankful that Josh and I were able to experience Africa together.

I hope that Josh and I were an encouragement and blessing to the missionaries living there (Manry's, Bogle's, and Langfords), they were definitely an encouragement to us! I am so honored to know people that make bold decisions in their lives for God's work and I am proud of the way they have been active in the lives of the Ugandan people. 

The thing I love so much of the African culture is they way daily life is viewed. Most of you know me, miss type A, to-do list, gotta be productive kinda girl. I struggled the first couple days in Africa because my view had to shift. Productiveness doesn't equal business. Life is "to be" not "to do". Stripping yourself of a cell phone, television, sports, shopping, a watch, and agendas leaves room for quality time with your family, deep conversations, and joy in watching God at work around you. 

Greeting is such an important part of life in Uganda, you never walk by anyone you know without looking them in the eye and going through the greeting process. How many times do we run by people without making them feel important and known? 

It was really fun to have Sara be our "leader" in this trip, for her, she was taking us back home and showing us around! Josh and I both agreed that Sara lights up in Africa, she is truly in her element when speaking and living amongst the Ugandans and they were all so happy to see her again. 

One of the highlights of the trip was when Josh and I did our bonding night. We stayed with Richard and Ida and their daughter Rebecca. Many of you may remember Ida from when she sang at Rochester two Easters ago. We had such a great night, Ida made a wonderful dinner and we stayed up very late talking and laughing. Before we went to bed, the four of us prayed and sang together. I am not sure how a night could have been better. 

The Interns that are there currently are a great bunch of people, I really enjoyed meeting the ones I had not previously met and getting to know a few better. I am excited to hear more of their stories and experiences when they get back.

My heart and mind are full of images and stories from our trip, I can't possibly write a blog to cover it all....so you will just have to have us over for dinner and we will show you our pictures and attempt to capture the feeling and heart of Africa for you.

Coming back has been a harder adjustment than I anticipated, but in a good way. I find myself just wanting to rest and "be" more, watching life around me and having conversations is more purposeful in my day. A few days have been overwhelming to me, and lessons are coming from those feelings that teach me more about what truly brings joy and meaning to life. 

      Thank you to everyone who supported us and prayed for our trip, we look forward to sharing with you!

3 comments:

Josh Graves said...

You put into words what I was feeling but unable to communicate.

I'm grateful that we were able to experience this together.

Anonymous said...

We're looking forward to our dinner date so we can hear more stories!

Sean Stockman said...

You did word that really well, we had some of those same feelings! Couldn't communicate them as well though, haha