Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Desperate times mean desperate actions....

It was just over a month ago that two men walked into a branch about a mile down from the bank branch I work at in Troy with AK-47s. No one was hurt, but a lot of money taken.

This morning a fellow Chase Bank near us was robbed, except this time the robbers jumped over the teller line and shot a female teller in the leg. The men are out there somewhere still.

I wonder if the closer we come to winter and the holidays, more desperate actions will occur. People are strapped for money, houses are being taken away, and bad things start to happen. Everyone is being touched by the bad economy in some way, and for some people it is absolutely devastating. It is sad, and scary for those of us that work in a bank to know that anything can happen at anytime!

------------- --------------


On another note, during the time that my friend Mary was dying of cancer, I had a Bible Class with Dr. Matheny. Dr. Matheny was also a close friend of Mary, so much of our discussions were about her, and often times we would both be at the hospital spending time with her.



During that semester, Dr. Matheny had to leave because of health reasons. They discovered he had brain cancer. Josh got a call this morning that he passed away.

Please pray for his wife and young sons, this is a hard loss for the whole Lipscomb Community, but especially for them.
------------------------
Most of you know that I love Christmas. I am one of those that as soon as the trick-or-treaters leave, I am pulling out my Amy Grant Christmas CD!

Yesterday I started putting out all my decorations, I am so excited that I just had to share some pictures with you. My absolute favorite ornaments are black and white, I am trying to build up a collection so that eventually it will be a black and white tree....but for now, it is just colorful!








7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its so sad some of the things that we see and hear about. I love that you have made your home look like Christmas. Its a time that is so pretty. Glad to see that you are so into it. I love it! I need you to come over and do mine!! :o)

Josh Graves said...

Matheny was a great teacher...and an even better person.

This is a time of mourning for our Lipscomb family.

JG

Josh Graves said...

Also...

After having Matheny for "Introduction to Ministry" among a few other classes in my M.Div. days...he pulled me aside and said, "You were born to preach, Josh."

Those little comments go a long way for a 25 year old wreslting with his own identity and calling...

Mindy said...

I am so sorry to hear about your guys' professor. That is really hard. We will be praying! YAY! You did it! I am so glad our little conversation helped!

Sean Stockman said...

My thoughts are with the Matheny family. Cancer has caused so much pain in loss the lives of so many people, I hate it. However, I am sure one of the few comforts his family has right now is that he is home.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Princess, we are up to three trees now! Plus another tree in my office. Knowing your mother, we aren't done yet.

And even though I've bought all the presents I was supposed to and more... knowing me, I know I'll buy more. Sorry. Being spoiled by your daddy is just something you're going to have to live with.

Truitt Ross said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I love to hear of the legacys people have chosen to leave. I'm encouraged today by your blog.
I love your Christmas decorations. When I get back from Thanksgiving mine are going up as well.
Have a happy Thanksgiving, and stay away from the bank! - kayci