I was on praise team all three services, so since third goes till about 1:15 some Sundays, I had my cell phone right up there with me and was fully prepared to be in the middle of a song and leave the stage if the phone went off!
No calls in church, so I decided to grab fast food and sit at the pool with my Harry Potter book. My house has sketchy cell service sometimes so I decided to sit at Lifetime's pool because it is across the street from the T-Mobile tower so I wouldn't be at risk to lose any bars!
About 3:30 I got a call from an 843 area code, I was so excited, this was a South Carolina number! I answered and he said "Hi Cutie! Your brother is now a Marine! "I got all choked up and I couldn't even say anything. I got it together and we had a great 8 minute conversation. He made it through the crucible and was now enjoying the treatment of being a Marine instead of a recruit.
Ever since Duncan stepped foot on Parris Island, he was not allowed to use his name or talk to any DI or other Marine without permission, no using words like "I or my" everything has to be"this recruit". After finishing the 54 crucible (there were 8 who had to be flown out because of heat exhaustion, etc.) they are met by their DI's and they shake their hand and call them by their name for the first time in 12 weeks. They are now Marines. Duncan said all the guys were sobbing and some were still collapsing from finishing the crucible.
The whole world seemed lighter after I finally got that phone call! We will see him on Thursday and bring him home Friday and I can't wait! Not sure if there will be a lot of concentrating between now and then!
I am so proud of my brother and best friend. Thank you for all your prayers and encouragement through the past 3 months, and thanks to all my great girlfriends and sis Megan for keeping me occupied!
3 comments:
From the halls of Montezuma To the shores of Tripoli, We fight our country’s battles In the air, on land, and sea. First to fight for right and freedom, And to keep our honor clean, We are proud to claim the title Of United States Marines. Our flag’s unfurl’d to every breeze From dawn to setting sun; We have fought in every clime and place Where we could take a gun. In the snow of far-off northern lands And in sunny tropic scenes, You will find us always on the job The United States Marines. Here’s health to you and to our Corps Which we are proud to serve; In many a strife we’ve fought for life And never lost our nerve. If the Army and the Navy Ever look on Heaven’s scenes, They will find the streets are guarded By United States Marines. OOH-rah!
I am so proud of your brother. I am so glad that you had the chance to talk to him. YEAH!
I just now read your blog and you're probably with your brother right now. What a great gift he is giving this country! Enjoy your brother being back!!
Post a Comment