I don't know how many of you know this, but Josh was the first guy I ever dated. So, until I met Josh, I spent many Valentine's Days helping my friends get ready, picking out their outfits, straightening their hair, etc. Once I took a picture of them and their date, I would stay in my PJs and watch TV in my dorm room and wait to hear all about the evening when they got back.
I was really looking forward to the Valentine's Day that I would receive flowers and have something to dress up for......so we will speed up until the Valentine's Day that Josh and I were engaged. I thought, this is my year! Josh was a basketball coach at the time and was going to be gone on Valentines Day (a Saturday), but would be back Sunday. He told me before he left that he remembered what day it was and that he would give me my present when he got back. So, I patiently waited, watched while people at work received flowers, and took pictures of my roommate and her fiance that just proposed to her (and gave her beautiful flowers).
So, Sunday arrived. Josh picked me up for church and I had all of his presents wrapped with me, I had bought him a book and some swim trunks for our honeymoon in Hawaii (pretty thoughtful huh?). As we pull into the parking lot of church, Josh reached around to the floorboard of the backseat and put on my lap.........an unwrapped box of girl scout cookies. Now I will save you all the details of my broken heart and tears and just let you know that since I didn't get flowers that Valentines Day, I put the cookies in a vase in the middle of my table! (I don't think it needs to be said, but Girl Scout cookies are now illegal in my house.)
At the time, I was pretty sad and upset about that day, but now I just think it is hilarious! In fact, I am thankful for that first Valentines of ours, because from now on, they will all be great! The following year, he made it up by doing 7 days of Valentines Day. It was pretty nice!
Since Valentines Day fell on a Wednesday this year, we celebrated Tuesday night. Josh was really sweet and brought home flowers, chocolate, cards, and we had dinner reservations at the Rochester Chop house where after 4 courses, I was so full but it was wonderful and we had the best night! (of course, laughing at dinner over our first Valentines together).
Thank you Josh :) I love you much!
I hope you all have a wonderful day today!
5 comments:
That man with the girl scout cookies was not me. I was abducted by aliens. The real Josh is back, aka Romeo, Don Juan, etc.
Kara that is so sweet! I am so glad that he stepped it up and took you to the Chop House! NICE!! Josh gets bonus points for this!!
I felt SO bad for Josh when that happened. I knew he was just like all us guys -- clueless, but sincere. Thanks for not giving up on him. We are happy to have him in the family!
Our first Vday Ben bought me a really nice Bible, then wrote inside "To my beautiful bride-to-be Nikkin..." Nikkin?? Haha! He accidentally wrote the ending "n" and couldn't correct it because it was in pen! So, now, our friends here in Wheaton call me Nikkin.
Sooo funny! I had a laugh remembering a VERY similar birthday after we first got married. I'll have to share it with you sometime. It's a good thing for you, though. They really do seem to spend the rest of the years trying to prove they are no longer that clueless person.
Post a Comment