Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Prof. Jack

IANNUCCI JOHN B
December 05, 2006
"JACK" Age 50, December 1, 2006. Loving father of Melissa Iannucci (Rich Thompson), Jacqueline, Lia, and Ezra. Cherished grandfather of Devin, Sydney, and Zoe. Dearest son of John (Yolanda) and the late Barbara. Brother of Patricia (Jon) Iannucci-Waller, Lea, Dino, Nancy (David) Welke and the late Frank. Uncle of Dylan, Alex, and Isabella. Former husband of Patty. Liz, mother of Jack's son Ezra. Funeral Wednesday Noon at the A.H. Peters Funeral Home, 20705 Mack Ave. at Vernier Rd., Grosse Pointe Woods. Visitation Tuesday 2-9 p.m. with a Rosary at 7 p.m. Memorials may be made to the Salvation Army, 16130 Northland Drive, Southfield, MI 48075.



The picture above is from when Andy Turner, Josh, and myself met Jack in Cass Park. We got a call today from another man that lived in the shelter that wanted us to know that Jack had died. He had heard Jack talk about us and found our number. He overdosed on Friday and will be buried tomorrow.

Josh went to the viewing tonight, he wanted Jack's family to know that we cared about him and that he taught us a lot about life and faith. They soaked up every word he said about him, listening to the message Josh had on his phone dozens of times just to hear his voice. They have asked Josh to speak at the funeral tomorrow which I know for him is very humbling.

The most poignant thing that Jack said was when we asked what we could do for him (fully expecting to be asked for a place to stay, money, etc.) All he said was "you have already done what I needed, you made me feel like a real human for a day."

I am thankful that we were a part of his life for this short time, and because of our relationship with him, we will continue to go down and get to know more people and just be present in their lives...and to make them feel human...because that is what they deserve.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm crushed. Your words are uplifting princesss.

Stephanie Corp said...

Thank for writing this post Kara...it was powerful and emotional to meet and talk with Jack's family tonight at the viewing...he was deeply loved by them and they wanted to hear every detail of our experiences with him...

-Steph

PatrickMead said...

I cried when I heard the news of Jack's passing. May God treat his soul gently. He has already had enough of hell. How about we collect a thousand or so chocolate chip cookies and take them to Cass Park; passing them out in Jack's name?

Anonymous said...

Kara,

I'm so sorry about Jack. There's a saying out there that "some of us have to die so that others of us may live". It relates to the world of addiction/recovery. It's a brutal sacrifice, but I'm not convinced it's a necessary one. Echoing Patrick's words, "May God treat his soul gently".

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Patty I am a family member of Jacks. It warms my heart and soul to read such nice things being said about " our Jack "
I would like to join you on the third Sunday of each month If I may. Please let me know what I could bring.....I know what Jack would want me to bring.