Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11. 2006

Everyone remembers exactly where they were this morning 5 years ago when our world changed forever.

I was a freshman at Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN. We have chapel on MWF and University Bible (UB) on T and TR. That morning was UB, it was my first thing of the day and I didn't feel like going so my plan was to sleep in.

I lived in a dorm made up of suites....4 rooms with 2 girls each, a living room, and a bathroom. I woke up abruptly that morning hearing loud voices, almost screams. Honestly I was mad, so I went to tell them to be quiet.

At that time no one knew what was going on, all we saw was the second plane crashing and the two towers falling over and over again. The words "Terrorists" and "We are under attack" were said repeatedly, even the reporters seemed scared and disoriented.

I called my dad to ask him what was happening. He was golfing in South Carolina at the time and hadn't heard anything. Understandably he didn't quite believe me when I first was talking. He told me they would go to the clubhouse and see if there was a TV. When he called me back, I knew it was as serious as I feared.

I think everyone felt the same across the whole country, a feeling of fear that no one has had before, when the world that we lived in seemed safe and peaceful was not going to be like that anymore. That feeling was magnified in a different way for me, I was in another, new place as a freshman, away from my family or anything that I was used to.

All of the girls in my suite decided to go to University Bible, surely it wasn't going to be the same. And it wasn't. I don't remember much of what was said because it all seemed so surreal, but I remember everyone seemed frozen not knowing what to do next.

Not long after we went to UB, the biggest flag I have ever seen was draped on the front of the Collins Auditorium. A large cross was on the steps, and one of my fellow schoolmates, was playing Amazing Grace on his bagpipe.

That day, most classes were still held, but we sat together and talked and prayed and teachers made sure we didn't feel alone, many teachers ate lunch with us or invited us to their homes. In the evening I went to Woodmont, the church I was a part of for 5 1/2 years. It was a candlelight service where we sang and prayed. It was the first time I had ever sung this song, and every time I hear it, I go right back to that moment.

Thou oh Lord are a shield about me
You're my glory, you're the lifter of my head
Thou oh Lord, are a shield about me
You're my glory, you're the lifter of my head.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah
You're the lifter of my head

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah
You're the lifter of my head.

3 comments:

PatrickMead said...

Thanks for sharing this, Kara. I've never really heard your recollections of the day before. I know that you seemed so, so far away on 9/11. I am glad that God kept us safe in the midst of the storm

Burcham Family said...

Wow! It's always hard to hear others stories of that day, yet it is encouraging that the God who comforted me that day is the God of all the universe who cares for everyone's needs.

Josh Graves said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.